Friday, December 19, 2008

The Chickens Are Gone


Last night when I went out to check on the chickens to make sure their water wasn't frozen, they still had food and the heat lamp was securely in place I discovered they were gone. It was as though they had just wandered off - there were no feathers on the ground and the coop was in the same shape I'd left it (as Jacob added, "There were no signs of foul play". Sigh). The weather had been sunny briefly so I thought maybe they had taken the opportunity to leave the coop and wander around the yard and were holed up under bush. With almost constant snowfall they'd been confined to their nesting box or perch for days so this seemed like a distinct possibility. Today I did a more thorough search of the yard and still no evidence.

Several people suggested to me that they'd been taken and this made Jacob and I feel better. If someone needed to eat so badly that they'd steal chickens then they needed them more than we did. They would have made for a fairly pitiful dinner though - particularly Muffy-Fluffy who was tiny.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the goats and making sure that Jacob doesn't put any signs on the fence that say "Fat, Yummy Dog in Yard."

** Update ** Muffy-Fluffy is back! I really hope Lucky comes back. One scrawny chicken is sad, particularly in this bad weather.

No comments: